Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theatre
- Beverly Hills Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 7:00 pm
- Pasadena Monday, October 17, 2022 at 8:00 pm
- Thousand Oaks Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 8:00 pm
- Long Beach Wednesday, October 19, 2022 at 8:00 pm
- Redondo Beach Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 8:00 pm
Misty Copeland has been a major star in American cultural life for much of the last decade. Her rise has been inspirational, but also a feat that not even the ballerina herself had ever expected. At 13, when she discovered ballet Misty was living in a motel room, with her single mom and five siblings. A true prodigy, she was dancing en pointe within three months of taking her first dance class and performing professionally in just over a year: a feat unheard of for any classical dancer. As principal dancer with the American Ballet Theatre, she became the first Black woman to achieve that position in the company’s 75-year history. She is the defining ballerina of this era, who is not only one of the finest dancers in the country, but someone who has captured the imagination of a generation that demands equity and diversity in all areas of their lives. Her talk will be a triumphant homecoming for this barrier-breaker, who was raised in San Pedro!